Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I.N.R.I.


An important acronym in both orthodox religion and in magic. The initials of a Latin phrase once placed by the  Romans at the top of the Cross which stood for Jesus Nazarenus Rex Judecorum (Iesous Nazarenus Rex Ieoderum), or "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews." Medieval alchemists theorized that it meant Igne Natura Renovatur Integra or "the whole of nature is renewed by fire," or Igne Nitrum Raris Invenitum - "shining is rarely found in fire." Masonic author J.S.M. Ward attributed the initials to the first letters of certain Hebrew words used to describe the four elements (I - Yam - Water; NNour - Fire; R - Ruach - Air; I - Yebeshah - Earth). INRI is known as the "Keyword" and is used in the Golden Dawn's Inner Order to describe the cycle of the seasons; the equinoxes and solstices, as well as the cycles of birth, death, and rebirth (I - Yod - Virgo; NNun - Scorpio; R - Resh - the Sun; I - Yod - Virgo).

1 comment:

Respect is the KEY WORD